Max Landis is one of the most sought-after screenwriters in Hollywood. From his first big film Chronicle to his upcoming Bright, with Will Smith to his classic Youtube video Wrestling Isn't Wrestling, Landis is also one of Hollywood's most prolific screenwriters. In this episode, he shares an equally large pile of advice, introspection and reflection about the tension between the struggle to create art and the demands to compromise it to make a living. This is a must-listen episode for any writer out there, as well as anyone who has ever doubted their own talents. And they discuss the question, "If you know yourself, does your art change?"
In this episode, you will learn:
- How to divorce yourself from your art when selling it.
- The mindset to have when facing unexpected and unwelcome changes.
- The four types of screenwriters.
- How to avoid the seductiveness of cynicism.
- Max's secret screenwriting techniques, and what he always does on the first page of every screenplay
- The one thing to avoid when re-branding yourself.
- What the open loop is and why it's paramount to great storytelling
- Why humans love surprises and how to train their emotions.