Are the diet pills and supplements you take to offset that midnight chalupa habit doing you any favors? You wouldn't be alone in wondering. All over the world, people buy pills or supplements in hopes of preventing disease, improving their health, and losing weight. But do any of them really work?
Welcome to Skeptical Sunday, a special edition of The Jordan Harbinger Show where Jordan and fact-checker, comedian, and podcast host David C. Smalley break down a topic that you may have never thought about, open things up, and debunk common misconceptions.
On This Week's Skeptical Sunday, We Discuss:
- With 40% of Americans being obese, 70% overweight, and 100% duped by corporate greed for an easy, instant solution, it's no wonder diet pills and supplements are pitched as the greatest thing since sliced bread (and the bread is probably how you got like that).
- A self-administered injection of semaglutide (popularly branded as Wegovy or Ozempic) can provide up to 17% weight loss at a cost of over $1,300 per month. Side effects include possible thyroid tumors, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, headaches, kidney damage, and stomach pain.
- Fat blockers can reduce fat intake by 30%, but the weight loss is typically only around six pounds over two years.
- The diet supplement industry is largely unregulated by the FDA, so there's a risk of potentially harmful, unlabeled ingredients sneaking past protective scrutiny.
- Over-the-counter diet supplements are often BS, but green tea is a natural weight loss aid that can help block fat, suppress appetite, and help people lose weight.
- Connect with Jordan on Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. If you have something you'd like us to tackle here on Skeptical Sunday, drop Jordan a line at email@example.com and let him know!
- Connect with David at his website, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, and YouTube, and make sure to check out The David C. Smalley Podcast here or wherever you enjoy listening to fine podcasts! If you like to get out of your house and catch live comedy, keep an eye on David's tour dates here and text David directly at (424) 306-0798 for tickets when he comes to your town!
Full show notes and resources can be found here: jordanharbinger.com/805
This Episode Is Brought To You By Our Fine Sponsors: jordanharbinger.com/deals
Sign up for Six-Minute Networking - our free networking and relationship development mini course - at jordanharbinger.com/course!
Like this show? Please leave us a review here - even one sentence helps! Consider including your Twitter handle so we can thank you personally!