You and your spouse recently decided to move back to your small hometown after giving the big city a try and deciding it's just not for you. But the problem is: you're going to have to give up the job you love, with benefits and more of a salary than you've ever made elsewhere. On top of that, the company is currently paying for you to finish school, so there may be legal consequences if you ditch them on graduation day. So in this Feedback Friday, we'll try to show you how to quit your dream job gracefully.
And in case you didn't already know it, Jordan Harbinger (@JordanHarbinger) and Jason DeFillippo (@jpdef) banter and take your comments and questions for Feedback Friday right here every week! If you want us to answer your question, register your feedback, or tell your story on one of our upcoming weekly Feedback Friday episodes, drop us a line at email@example.com. Now let's dive in!
Full show notes and resources can be found here: https://jordanharbinger.com/236.
On This Week's Feedback Friday, We Discuss:
- Is it unreasonable for you to tell friends and family that you don't support MLM companies, won't host their parties, and won't buy their products? Or is there a softer, more effective approach?
- You recently broke up with your significant other of 15 months, but feel guilty because they gave up their chance to start their MBA in anther city to be with you. Are you a terrible person who made a selfish decision?
- Your spouse wants to move the family out of the big city and back to your hometown, but it means leaving a job you love that has invested in your education. How do you gracefully part ways while causing the least impact and without burning any bridges?
- You did a digital detox after listening to our episode with Cal Newport, and want to limit your seven-year-old's exposure to devices after hearing our episode with Jonathan Haidt. How do you ensure you're not just making the wrong thing more appealing?
- You moved to another country five years ago and have been working menial jobs, learning the language, and taking classes for fun. Now you're ready to take your career seriously, but your resume might be hard to explain. How to proceed?
- You've lost your motivation, confidence, and self-esteem after quitting a job under a manipulative boss, and your dreams of landing a better job are stalled after submitting hundreds of applications with no calls back. How do you give yourself the kick-in-the-ass, tough self-love pep talk you drastically need?
- After a few years of accepting sponsored links and posts for your blog, you ended up owning your own link placement agency. This is now what you do full time and you earn more than you ever have before, but you know it's just a matter of time before Google smacks you down. How can you find time to start a more legit business before this happens?
- You would love to start your own podcast and YouTube channel. You have a great topic, lots of ideas, and contacts for people you could have on the show. Should you work on both the podcast and YouTube or just focus on one?
- What's the most interesting experience you've ever had? Safari? helicopter tour of a waterfall in venezuela? I'd love to know. Looking at a bucket list. The books on this are all lame because they're trying to fill 200+ pages. Jordan wants to hear what you think is amazing and why. Write him here: firstname.lastname@example.org!
- Life Pro Tip: If you have to cancel plans with someone, immediately ask them when they are free again in the future and make replacement plans. It makes people feel like you do really care about seeing them and you appear less flaky.
- Recommendation of the Week: Betting on Zero
- A quick shoutout to Fabio in San Francisco!
- Have any questions, comments, or stories you'd like to share with us? Drop us a line at email@example.com!
- Connect with Jordan on Twitter at @JordanHarbinger and Instagram at @jordanharbinger.
- Connect with Jason on Twitter at @jpdef and Instagram at @JPD, and check out his other show: Grumpy Old Geeks.
Sign up for Six-Minute Networking -- our free networking and relationship development mini course -- at jordanharbinger.com/course!
Like this show? Please leave us a review here -- even one sentence helps! Consider leaving your Twitter handle so we can thank you personally!